There are chocolate dessert lovers, then there are fruit-based dessert lovers. If your kid is the latter, they’ll go bananas over this yummy (yet, secretly low sugar) parfait! Whip it up to ensure they get their complete nutrition - especially the picky eaters who don’t make it through the main dinner course.
Makes: About 2 cups or 4 parfaits
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes (includes chill time)
For the pudding:
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 egg yolks
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
1 serving (5 scoops) Else Banana & Chia Plant-Powered Kid’s Shake Mix
1/2 banana, mashed
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice
For assembling the parfaits:
2 bananas, sliced
4 honey graham cracker squares, crumbled
- Set a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add maple syrup, egg yolks, and cornstarch to the saucepan and whisk vigorously until no lumps remain.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and whisk in the almond milk until frothy. Continue whisking the mixture frequently until it begins to gently simmer. When the mixture just starts to bubble, stir in the Else Banana & Chia Mix and mashed banana. Then, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes longer until the mixture is thickened.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Transfer pudding to a covered storage container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- To assemble the parfaits, layer ½ cup of pudding in a serving bowl with half of a sliced banana and one crumbled graham cracker.
For ½ cup pudding layered with ½ banana and 1 graham cracker square
Fat: 7 grams
Saturated Fat: 1 gram
Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Sodium: 119 milligrams
Carbohydrate: 46 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Sugar: 21 grams
Added Sugar: 12 grams
Protein: 4.5 grams